Friday, July 30, 2010
A Heart of Curiosity
This is a piece of dialogue adapted from the Japanese drama series named "Edi No Haha" (Edison's Mother). This drama talks about a standard 1 boy who's always curious about the things that are happening around him. He has a curiosity as big as the one Thomas Edison had. And this little "Edison" is named Hana. Ever since Hana switched to a school in Tokyo, he has been doing things that makes everyone worry. His actions made the teachers and the school feel troubled. It has also caused many problems to the school.

One day, Hana's mother decided to pay the school a visit so that she could have a talk with Hana's teachers. Hana's mother and his class teacher decided to have a talk in the classroom.

Hana's Mother: That's Hana's drawing! It's on the board! Before this, his drawings would only be torn apart by his teachers.

Class Teacher: Torn apart?

Hana's Mother: There was once he was asked to draw a portrait of his friend, but at the end he coloured his friend's face in purple. It has no special reason, it's just that he likes purple. His former class teacher got so angry and asked "Isn't this a monster?". This is why I felt happy to see that his drawings are allowed to be tagged on board.

Class teacher: I see.

The teacher was curious about Hana's drawing and asked "What is this drawing about?"

Hana's mother laughed and replied: This is a drawing about me and Hana. It was about the day we moved here to Tokyo. It was a snowy day, I could still remember he said....

Hana: Mom, why?

Hana's Mother: Yes? Now what's troubling you?

Hana: Why did dad left us? Why do we need to move? Why?

Hana's Mother: I'm sorry Hana, I don't know why either. Even if I don't know why, and I don't know what to do, we still have to keep moving forward.

Hana: Keep moving forward?

Hana's mother: Yes. We could only get to see new things when we keep moving forward. Everything will be better, so let's keep moving forward.

Hana: OK!

Hana's mother smiled and told the teacher: That time might be tough for me, but I know that Hana's happy.

Class Teacher: What a tough challenge you're facing.


Postscript:

When I first watched this drama, I admire this child a lot. It's not often to see children behave this way. But there's a common curiosity that every child has. It's not unusual for the children to keep on asking questions, questions even the parents couldn't answer. What's important is that parents do their best to answer the children, and carefully explain the details about what they've asked. When you encounter some questions that you don't have the answers, you should then seek the answers for them. Remember, if we hide the answer from their questions, they might think that we're hiding something from him. From here, they might lose their trust on us.

The child might have agreed to keep moving forward, but still he'd like to see his parents getting back together. We could often see "imperfect" families nowadays, but have we forgot that children always wanted a perfect family? Nevertheless, being the outsiders, all we could do is to explain things and make the children understand the situation, and lastly encourage them to face things positively.

Actually, I'm a person who likes to ask "why" too! This always annoys people. Whenever I ask "Why? Why? Why?", most of the people only answered me superficially. There's not much people who could patiently explain the answers to my questions, but I'd get a great satisfaction. I never think that this could be disgraceful, because I'm just curious. At least I get to know more than the others, learn more than the others. Why throw away an opportunity to learn just because the way people look at you?

As our Sensei said "Questioning is an opportunity for the us to think. The person who's questioning and the one who's questioned could also build more faith. Hence, worry nothing, and ask whenever you want to."

Shared by,
Indian Sister.

Labels: